Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Bell's Palsy Update - Day 14

It's been about 2 weeks and I keep hoping to see signs of my facial muscles coming back but no, nothing has really improved except the pain on my face.


I've learned to adjust to eating and drinking by now. I have to eat small bite sizes and drink slowly which is probably what I should do anyway since I tend to inhale my foods. It seems that when I'm eating I feel the restrictions of my facial muscles the most. Maybe it's because we use a lot of facial muscles while eating.


I have been wearing the palsy patch at night. This product was made by a guy who had Bell's Palsy and was not happy with taping his eye shut at night. I was desperate and wanted to see if it works. When it arrived, I was disappointed because the elastic felt cheap and it was not adjustable. I think it's too big for me. The patch piece is thick and I was having trouble fitting it on my face. I've watched his instructional YouTube video but it just doesn't seem to work well for me. The second night was better. Although I'm not completely satisfied with the patch, it beats taping my eye which I absolutely hated! I'm now thinking about a DIY project for making a similar patch. One that might fit me better.


The good news is I've figured a way to take a shower without excruciating pain from water/shampoo/face wash getting into my eyes. For the past 2 weeks, even with my eyes held shut, water would get in and it would hurt. I mean burning, my eyes are on fire kind of HURT. Yes, water does this.... so imagine when it was time to shampoo my hair! The other problem I have is allergies so my eyes would get so irritated from allergies as well. Last night, after spending some time outdoors taking photos of my 3 year old son on Earth Day (the clouds were absolutely gorgeous). I used the overnight ointment before I showered because my eyes were just so irritated. I noticed while I was showering that my eyes were not burning and hurting from the water! I was so excited! For the first time in 2 weeks, I was pain free in the shower! yay! I then applied a little bit of ointment in my eye again before using a allergy relief eye drop and it didn't burn or sting! I tried using the allergy eye drops the night before without the ointment and I almost died. Naturally the drops would burn your eyes a little but with mine being so irritated from Bell's Palsy it was REALLY painful. I'm starting to think this ointment is a miracle worker LOL! about half an our later my eye was no longer red or itchy. What a relief!


I started using different nerve generating essential oils such as Helichrysum & Frankincense. I'm also using peppermint, lemongrass and lavender. I don't know if the oils are helping but my face isn't as sore as it was last week. Trying to massage it at first was soooooo painful. My face was so tender. Now, I can tolerate the massage and even use a little more pressure. I started to get headaches again but it's still not as intense as it was right before I was diagnosed with Bell's Palsy. The left side of my face is breaking out. I'm breaking out like crazy. Maybe the pores are constantly open and exposed to more dirt and yucky stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment