Thursday, November 13, 2014

Why I blog

Why do I blog? I'm not a writer. In fact, English was my 2nd language and I hated English class... Especially writing assignments! So as you read my posts, don't mind all the incorrect grammars and spelling... Incomplete sentences, etc. 

I blog because I want to keep track of my life. My family's life. I want to keep track of all the DIY projects... This is my diary or journal. I guess you can call it that. I used to write things down on a word doc but I couldn't access it whenever I wanted to!

My family is part of the thousands of immigrants from Southeast Asia who came to America in the 80s for a better life. In fact during my adult life, I discovered that I was born in a refugee camp! I guess we never talked about the past.. I always imagined I was born in a village. 

Anyway, there's no real record of my family history and although I don't plan to blog about everything, I'd like to keep track of some things such as our family camp trips :). We camp religiously every year and I want to document that for my boys. 

I have an obsession with DIY projects. When I was little, I remember watching my dad make a lot of different things from building a bunk bed for my sister and I to weaving baskets out of plastic strips (I can't remember what the materials were). Anyway, I remember watching him in awe and thinking to myself, this is so cool! I hope I can learn how to make my own things when I get older!

And then there's my passion for photography. Ever since I was little, I've always wanted to be an artist. I loved making things & draw/paint and creating pieces of art (in many forms). Then there's the art of photography. Remember now, when I was growing up, digital photography was not so big yet. My family owned a 35mm Cannon camera and we couldn't afford to buy a lot of film. We didn't even own a computer. That wasn't around either! Wow, am I just a dinosaur? Haha. When I got my first point and shoot camera, I was so excited. I took TONS of pictures (I still do) of everything. I didn't realize it then but I already had an eye for composition. I was really picky about my photos and how in focus they are, exposure, etc. Anyway, taking photos for my blog helps me practice on my photography. 

So now, I've learned so much about photography (and still learning) and I'm always behind the camera especially since I now have 3 little boys and I plan to document their lives through photography. I look back at my life and it almost feels like I don't have any memories. No photos. Most of what I think I remember feels like it might have been a dream (luckily some of my siblings confirm my memories are in fact real). 

Anyway, I LOVE Pinterest. I remember saving recipes and DIY projects on my web browsers "favorites" but then if I needed to access it outside of my home, I couldn't. Then Pinterest happened! I can save all the links in one place? AND I can access it on my phone, anywhere??? Hallelujah! 

Sadly, I work full time so when I return to work (from maternity leave) I won't have as much time to do... Anything! Boooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment